Biodiversity & Nursery
The Girringun Biodiversity & Nursery Program involves restoration of habitats and corridors of endangered species such as Tree Kangaroo, Mahogany Gliders and Cassowary; control of pest weeds, revegetation of areas damaged by natural disasters such as cyclones and the collection and propagation of local endemic plants, trees and grasses for use in revegetation work.
Over time, the vast majority of plants required for the revegetation work will be supplied by the Girringun Native Plant Nursery. All sales benefit the protection and restoration of the Indigenous Protected Areas. Girringun Native Plant Nursery supplies to revegetation projects, landscapers, nurseries and the general public.
Biodiversity conduct much of the on-ground operation to achieve meaningful management outcomes for Girringun, with a strong emphasis on culture and caring for country both land and sea. Biodiversity Staff are well resourced, highly skilled and trained to conduct all types of field work and work within the boundary of the Girringun Indigenous Protected Area. The Biodiversity and Nursery team is well supported within the corporation by Girringun Aboriginal Art Centre, Girringun Aboriginal Rangers, IPA and TUMRA.
We specialize in bush tucker and native endemic species. Please contact us for a current stock list or quote for your project at wholesale prices.
Our Biodiversity & Nursery Team
Our current team is made up of 4 Traditional Owner personnel comprising of:
- 2 Indigenous Males (1 x Senior Supervisor and 1 x Horticultural Trainee)
- 2 Indigenous Females (1 x Senior Elder Supervisor and 1 x Senior Supervisor)
Some of the projects Biodiversity & Nursery staff are actively involved with include:
- Exotic Weed Management & Re-vegetation
- Maintenance of Traditional Sites
- Supporting the Girringun Junior Rangers
- Working with partners and stake holders
- Training and Capacity building
We work in conjunction with:
- Traditional Owners of the Girringun Region: Bandjin, Djiru, Girramay, Gugu Badhun, Gulnay, Jirrbal, Nywaigi, Warrgamay and Warrungnu
- National Parks, Sport and Racing (NPSR) - Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS - Northern Region)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
- Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland (WPSQ)
- Local Councils - Hinchinbrook Shire Council, Cassowary Coast Regional Council
- Terrain NRM
- Rainforest Reserves
- NQ Dry Tropics
- Wet Tropics Management Authority (WTMA)
- Conservation Volunteers Australia (CVA)
- Green Army
OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC - MONDAY TO THURSDAY 9AM TO 4PM
AT 235 VICTORIA STREET CARDWELL QLD 4849 - NEXT TO THE ART CENTRE
CONTACT DETAILSMobile: 0419 790 247
Click here for a list of plants we grow. Where possible we do stock other species not mentioned on the listing, but please feel free to contact the Biodiversity and Nursery team to discuss your requests.